Two commercial airports serve the island of Crete. Sitia is the closer of the two (35km), but flight options are far more limited than at the much larger Heraklion (130km).
The island is also served by several ferries. The ferries connect Crete with Piræus (Athens) and many other islands. The trip from Piræus takes about six hours, but the journey is half the fun.
Cars are available for hire, and we are more than happy to arrange your car hire for you, either for pick up upon your arrival in Crete or during your holiday at Makrigialos Village.
Driving Directions from Sitia Airport
1. As you exit, turn left along the eastern fence of the airport until you get to a T-junction. Drive on the right!
2. Turn right going downhill. The road leads to Sitia port.
3. Turn right. (The sea is now on your left.) This street leads to the center of Sitia.
4. Follow signs to Ierapetra (not Heraklion). You are now going south.
5. After you exit Sitia, the road meanders through the countryside and numerous villages for 40–45 minutes until you get to the south coast.
6. The first village on the south coast is Analipsi. (The sea is again on your left.) As you enter Makrigialos village, there is an EKO petrol station on your right. Follow the road downhill and you will see Kamara apartments at the bottom of the hill on your left (approximately 500m far from EKO petrol station or 800m from the first junction on the road Sitia-Ierapetra)
Driving Directions from Heraklion Airport
1. As you exit the airport, follow signs for the route to Agios Nikolaos. Drive on the right!
2. Take National Highway signed Agios Nikolaos 61km.
3. As you approach Agios Nikolaos after 40–45 minutes, you come to a large crossroads with traffic lights. Turn right at the traffic lights sign posted Ierapetra 37 and Sitia 72.
4. Continue for 1.5kms to the next crossroads with traffic lights, and go straight on the road signed Ierapetra 34, Sitia 69.
5. After approximately 20–25 minutes, after passing through the village of Pacheia Ammos, turn right at the sign Ierapetra 15, and continue on this road towards the south coast and Ierapetra.
6. As you enter the town of Ierapetra, turn left at the first traffic lights in the direction of Sitia. You are now driving along the south coast. (The sea will be on your right.)
7. n 30–35 minutes, you will reach the signpost for Makrigialos.
Bus travel in Crete, operated by KTEL, is inexpensive, clean, comfortable, and safe, using a fleet of modern coaches. Buses pick up at Heraklion airport and travel to Lerapetra where there is a change of bus to Makrigialos.
Taxis are available at Heraklion and Sitia airports. With prior notice, the resort can arrange a taxi to meet you at either airport or from the ferry terminal at the port of Heraklion.